The Alchemist picked up a book that someone in
the caravan had brought. Leafing through the pages,
he found a story about Narcissus.
The alchemist knew the legend of Narcissus, a youth
who daily knelt beside a lake to contemplate his own beauty.
He was so fascinated by himself that, one morning, he fell
into the lake and drowned. At the spot where he fell, a flower
was born, which was called the narcissus.
But this was not how the author of the book ended the
He said that when Narcissus died, the Goddesses of the
Forest appeared and found the lake, which had been fresh
water, transformed into a lake of salty tears.
"Why do you weep?" the Goddesses asked.
"I weep for Narcissus," the lake replied.
"Ah, it is no surprise that you weep for Narcissus," they
said, "for though we always pursued him in the forest, you
alone could contemplate his beauty close at hand."
"But….. was Narcissus beautiful?" the lake asked.
"Who better than you to know that?" the Goddesses said
in wonder, "After all, it was by your banks that he knelt each
day to contemplate himself!!"
The lake was silent for some time.
Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus
was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my
banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty
"What a lovely story," the alchemist thought.
It's not difficult to make a woman happy. A man only needs to be:
1. a friend
2. a companion
3. a lover
4. a brother
5. a father
6. a master
7. a chef
8. an electrician
9. a carpenter
10. a plumber
11. a mechanic
12. a decorator
13. a stylist
14. a sexologist
15. a gynecologist
16. a psychologist
17. a pest exterminator
18. a psychiatrist
19. a healer
20. a good listener
21. an organizer
22. a good father
23. very clean
WITHOUT FORGETTING TO:
45. give her compliments regularly
46. love shopping
47. be honest
48. be very rich
49. not stress her out
50. not look at other girls
AND AT THE SAME TIME, YOU MUST ALSO:
51. give her lots of attention, but expect little yourself
52. give her lots of time, especially time for herself
53. give her lots of space, never worrying about where she goes
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT:
54. Never to forget:
* arrangements she makes
HOW TO MAKE A MAN HAPPY
1. Show up naked
2. Bring food and beer.
Magandang kwento . . . totoo at tumatalab . .
Isang bagong-saltang kaluluwa ang umakyat sa langit ang ngayon ay
nakaharap kay San Pedro. Namasyal silang dalawa sa langit. Magkahawak-kamay
silang naglakad-lakad sa isang malaking silid doon na puno ng mga anghel.
Huminto si San Pedro sa harap ng isang lupon ng mga anghel at nagsalita,
"Ito ang silid-tanggapan. Sa silid na ito, tinatanggap lahat ng mga kahilingan sa panalangin."
Pinagmasdan ito ng kaluluwa, at nakita nitong abala ang lahat sa pag-uugnay-ugnay ng mga kahilingan na nakasulat sa bunton ng mga papel na galing sa buong mundo.
Nagpatuloy s ilang maglakad hanggang madaanan nila ang pangalawang lupon
ng mga anghel. Ang wika ni San Pedro sa kaluluwa, "Ito naman ang 'Packaging at
Delivery Section'. Dito, ang biyaya at mga pagpapala na hiniling ng mga tao
ay binabalot at dini-deliver sa mga tao na humingi noon."
Nakitang muli ng kaluluwa kung gaano ito kaabala. Maraming anghel doon ang
talagang subsob sa trabaho sa dami ng mga pagpapalang hiniling at dini-deliver araw-araw sa lupa.
Hanggang sa dumako sila sa huling lupon, sa pinakamalayong lupon.
Huminto ang anghel doon sa isang maliit na lupon. Sa kanyang pagkamangha, iisang anghel lamang ang nakaupo doon, walang ginagawa.
Participate with me on this. This is what you are supposed to do: copy
this entire post and paste it into new entry/email. Change all the
answers so that they apply to you, then send this to a whole bunch of people
you know *including* the person who sent it to you. Put your name in the
subject. The theory is that you will learn a lot of little known facts about
your friends. It's a fun and easy 49 questions to answer.
1. FIRST NAMES? Melanie
2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? yes
3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY? yesterday (over a song)
4. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? yes 🙂
5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCHMEAT? chicken
7. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? yes
8. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL? yes, online and offline i have one
9. DO YOU USE SARCASM? sometimes
10. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? yes
11. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? depende, pwede ko i-try, basta kasama ko si S
12. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? none
13. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? no
14. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? i think i am now
15. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? ube
16. SHOE SIZE? 7 1/2
17. RED OR PINK? red
18. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? none (dahil wala ko maiisip)
19. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? highschool and college friends
20. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Yes
21. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING NOW? blank pants, brown
22. LAST THING YOU ATE? rice and inihaw na liempo
23. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? blue bayou
24. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE? blue
25. FAVORITE SMELL? nothing particular
26. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? realtor
27. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU ARE ATTRACTED TO? smile and eyes
28. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? si kris? may choice pa ba ako? yeah, i like my little sister hehehhe
29. FAVORITE DRINK? any fruit juice
30. FAVORITE SPORT? wala as in wala
31. EYE COLOR? brown
32. HAT SIZE? i dont know
33. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? no
34. FAVORITE FOOD? filipino food and some japanese & chinese food
35. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? happy endings
36. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED AT THE MOVIES? The Prestige
37. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? shades of blue
38. HUGS OR KISSES? hugs
39. FAVORITE DESSERT? blueberry cheese cake
40. WHO IS LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? none
41. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? lahat sila
42. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING? none
43. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? walang design eh
44. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON TV LAST NIGHT? myx
45. FAVORITE SOUNDS? kahit ano basta wag lang sobrang rock
46. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Beatles
47. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME? sagada
48. WHAT'S YOUR SPECIAL TALENT? wala hehehe
49. WHEN AND WHERE WERE YOU BORN? aug 2, manila
50. DO YOU WISH ON A STAR? no
51. WHAT IS YOUR MOST EMBARASSING CD/DVD ON THE SHELF? none
52. HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A SECRET YOU SWORE NOT TO TELL? no
53. Do you think there is a pot of gold at theend of the rainbow? yes 🙂
54. How do you release anger? cry
55. Do you trust others easily? no unless he trust me =)
56. What was your favorite toy as a child? a doll named nicaragua
57. What class in school do you think is totally useless? break time hehehe kidding aside wala lahat naman
58. Have you ever been on radio or television? yeah, eat bulaga yata, studio audience hehehe
59. Your nicknames? lay, lanie, lan, mel
60. What are you worried about right now? expenses
61. What is your least favorite thing in the world? spider at flying ipis
62. Are you in love w/ anyone? yes 🙂
some notable quotes that struck me. from Paulo Coelho's site: Dialogues with the Master – Organizing the quest
–repeated experiences serve a purpose: they teach you what you have not yet learned
Don’t try to be coherent all the time; discover the joy of being a surprise to yourself. Being coherent is having always to wear a tie that matches your socks. It means being obliged to keep tomorrow the same opinions you have today. What about the world, which is always in movement? As long as it doesn’t harm anyone, change your opinion now and again, and contradict yourself without feeling ashamed – you have a right to that! It doesn’t matter what the others may think – because they are going to think that way no matter what.
A moment arrives when we look backwards, remember the beginning of our journey, and laugh at ourselves. We have managed to grow, although we traveled the path for reasons that were very futile.
Three years of courtship and now, four years into marriage, I would have to admit, that I am getting tired of it. The reasons of me loving him before, has now transformed into the cause of all my restlessness.
I am a sentimental woman and extremely sensitive when it comes to a
relationship and my feelings, I yearn for the romantic moments, like a little girl yearning for candy. My husband, is my complete opposite, his lack of sensitivity, and the inability of bringing romantic moments into our marriage has disheartened me about love. One day, I finally decided to tell him my decision, that I wanted a divorce.
"Why?" he asked, shocked. "I am tired, there are no reasons for everything in the world!" I answered.
He kept silent the whole night, seems to be in deep thought with a lighted cigarette at all times.
My feeling of disappointment only increased, here was a man who can't even express his predicament, what else can I hope from him?
And finally he asked me:" What can I do to change your mind?" Somebody said it right, it's hard to change a person's personality, and I guess, I have started losing faith in him.
Looking deep into his eyes I slowly answered : "Here is the question, if you can answer and convince my heart, I will change my mind, Let's say, I want a flower located on the face of a mountain cliff, and we both are sure that picking the flower will cause your death, will you do it for me?"
He said :" I will give you your answer tomorrow…." My hopes just sank by listening to his response.
I woke up the next morning to find him gone, and saw a piece of paper with his scratchy handwriting, underneath a milk glass, on the dining table near the front door, that goes….
"I would not pick that flower for you, but please allow me to explain the reasons further.."
This first line was already breaking my heart. I continued reading.
"When you use the computer you always mess up the Software programs, and you cry in front of the screen, I have to saved my fingers so that I can help to restore the programs.
You always leave the house keys behind, thus I have to save my legs to rush home to open the door for you.
You love traveling but always lose your way in a new city, I have to save my eyes to show you the way.
You always have the cramps whenever your "good friend" approaches every month, I have to save my palms so that I can calm the cramps in your tummy.
You like to stay indoors, and I worry that you will be infected by
infantile autism. I have to save my mouth to tell you jokes and stories to cure your boredom.
You always stare at the computer, and that will do nothing good for your eyes, I have to save my eyes so that when we grow old, I can help to clip your nails, and help to remove those annoying white hairs. So I can also hold your hand while strolling down the beach, as you enjoy the sunshine and the beautiful sand… and tell you the colour of flowers, just like the color of the glow on your young face…
Thus, my dear, unless I am sure that there is someone who loves you more than I do… I could not pick that flower yet, and die.. "
My tears fell on the letter, and blurred the ink of his handwriting… and as I conntinue on reading…
"Now, that you have finished reading my answer, if you are satisfied, please open the front door for I am standing outside bringing your favorite bread and fresh milk…
I rush to pull open the door, and saw his anxious face, clutching tightly with his hands, the milk bottle and loaf of bread….
Now I am very sure that no one will ever love me as much as he does, and I have decided to l eave the flower alone…
That's life, and love. When one is surrounded by love, the feeling of
excitement fades away, and one tends to ignore the true love that lies in between the peace and dullness.
Love shows up in all forms, even very small and cheeky forms, it has never been a model, it could be the most dull and boring form.. . flowers, and romantic moments are only used and appear on the surface of the relationship. Under all this, the pillar of true love stands… and that's our life… Love, not words win arguments…
photo by omar_franc